Sunday, October 5, 2008

ELY BUENDIA


Early last year, I had the privilege of interviewing Ely Buendia during the Animax launch at Hard Rock Cafe at Glorietta 3. He performed with his current band, Pupil. The group launched its animated music video for Animax, entitled "Set Me Apart." We all know that Pupil has only become a cult hit. And we like it that way. His former band, Eraserheads, on the other hand, is already a legend.

While everyone is looking forward to a sequel of the Eheads' emotional reunion concert, here's an exerpt from my conversations with THE Ely Buendia last year--just a few months after his first heart attack:

I know you're sick and tired of hearing this question. But I'll ask it anyway. Why did the Eheads disband?
Ely: A lot of reasons--ego, time, money. Dumaan kami sa classic band process. We didn't intend it to be that way.

How is your relationship with former bandmates?
We're not friends. We're not enemies. I say "hi" when I see them.

You're being labeled as an icon...
I'm still not used to it. What's an icon? I'd rather be called an artist.


It was a dream interview. Iba 'yung energy ni Ely--parang Jedi hehe. The force is strong in this one...

Fastforward to 2008: We're glad the Eheads are back and Ely is already in good condition. This is the kind of story that inspires music fans and rock bands.



Photographed by Cholo dela Vega for Cult Creations. Special thanks to Ely Buendia, Diane Ventura, Day Cabuhat, Sony BMG, Animax, and Manila Standard Today.

No comments: