Monday, October 6, 2008

THE EARLY 2000s





Wow. It's surreal to think that 2003 was five years ago. It still feels like the late '90s to me.


Thirty minutes ago, I was browsing through some not-so-old photographs from my archives and discovered three interesting snapshots. These were taken during my younger years in journalism (as they were three of my earliest subjects back in college).


Just some recollections:


CYNTHIA ALEXANDER.

It was Volunteerism Week at DLSU and the social action office (known to students as COSCA) invited its artist friend, alternative musician Cynthia Alexander, to perform her indie hits. I've been a fan of Cynthia Alexander since I first heard her song "Comfort In Your Strangeness" in 2001. This song is a classic for fans of alternative music.

During that time, I was assigned by the org to accompany the singer-songwriter--from the time she arrived at the school gate up to the moment she left the campus. I was one lucky prick. So I was able to meet the queen of Pinoy alternative music. She shared to me how much it inspires her to perform at campuses. I guess it's the creative energy that comes from the young audience. After her performance, we accompanied her to the parking and exchanged numbers. It's too bad I lost my phone a few weeks after.


"Comfort in Your Strangeness"

by Cynthia Alexander (Insomnia & other Lullabyes, 1997)



woke up this morning I was staring at the ceiling cracks and

roadmaps and landscapes and highways I have seen I have

been to places far and deep in my mind only to find Comfort

in Your strangeness of moving shadows when I call the wind

by name rushing Firewater in the dark of a cloud I have seen

I have been to places far and deep in my mind only to find

Comfort in Your strangeness we are slaves to the crimes we

commit in fits of passion we shame we are nothing we are

nothing we are nothing we are nothing but the dust on Your

feet dying to be born again singing Ether Water Fire singing

Earth Singing Air I have seen I have been to places far and

deep in my mind only to find Comfort in Your strangeness I

have seen I have been to places far and deep in my mind

only to find Comfort in Your strangeness




BARBIE ALMALBIS

Four years ago, I called up the agency of Barbie's Cradle to set up an interview with the band (for my school paper). And the best schedule they could give us was at 9 p.m. on a weeknight, during the band's gig at the now-defunct Suburbia in Malate. The band was very accommodating. Barbie was inspiring. She's probably one of the most calm person I have ever met.


I remember her telling us about her childhood--that music runs in her family. Barbie learned how to play piano and guitar from her grandmother.

Here's Hungry Young Poets' first-ever video, entitled "Firewoman." HYP is Barbie's first recording band. This was before she joined Barbie's Cradle.







KITCHIE NADAL

Before Kitchie Nadal released her first solo single, "Run," I had an opportunity of interviewing her at a bar in Pasig City. It was kind of a big deal when she left her band, Mojofly. And that was most of what we talked about. But I recall asking her about "what's on her mind when she writes songs." I also asked her, "What do you do when you're depressed?" She said, "What?!"


I know. That was weird.

Grab a copy of Kitchie's latest album, Love Letter, which has this amazing song entitled "Grace."




We miss Cynthia, Kitchie, and Barbie. Bring back those good ol' organic sounds!

No comments: